Sierra Suris

Work
Inspiration/Description: 

Missed Connections

Technology has greatly influenced our culture and the way we interact and relate.  “Missed Connections” posts, found on Craigslist, are written by individuals hoping to find the person whose face or glance they cannot forget, but who got away due to a lack of courage or poor circumstances. Most of the “Missed Connections” posters photographed expressed a doubt that the person they were looking for would respond, rendering this section of Craigslist the home of contemporary, hopeless romantics and eccentrics.  

Execution/Process- I contact people via Missed Connections on Craigslist.com explaining the basic outline of my project and asking if they would like to receive more information and or participate. For about every 20 e-mails I send out about 2 respond and agree to participate. I then arrange to meet with them at the location where they saw their missed connection and take the portrait.

Evolution of the Project/ Iterations: The first time I did and presented this project it was mostly men who answered my emails to participate. This second time it is mostly women whom are agreeing to participate.

Series Title/Theme: 

Missed Connections

Future Aspirations: 

After graduating I intend to stay in DC and try to find work. My ideal job would be photographing on the Hill, as a political photographer for the House or the Senate or a paper like Roll Call. And my dream job and ultimate career goal is to become a White House Press Photographer.