Lindsay King

Work
Inspiration/Description: 

This project started out as my semester project last spring. I wanted to show how the rink accommodated for the youth of the surrounding area while still honoring the traditions of the glory days of roller skating. After taking some time to work on another project that proved to be too extensive to complete for thesis I decided to revisit the rink with a different approach. This time I will be presenting the project as a multimedia presentation comprised of audio and stills.

We’ll All Roll On

Once considered to be an iconic American pastime, the popularity of roller-skating has dwindled to a seldom-considered activity. Despite this decline, many of the most successful rinks stay in business because of their loyal, local following; people who are drawn in by the joyful beat of live organ music.

As the largest roller-skating rink on the East Coast and the only one in Maryland to offer live organ music, Sportsman’s Hall honors its rich history with a family-like character. Sunday nights provide nostalgia for those that are dedicated to a style of rhythmic skating called shuffle skating. Many of the patrons of the live organ sessions have been shuffling since the 1960s; frequenting the rink since it first opened its doors on May 7, 1959. Sunday nights at Sportsman’s Hall uphold a sense of tradition, and the rink faces the struggle to instill youth with a love of shuffle skating so that they can keep their wheels rolling for years to come. 

Series Title/Theme: 

Glory Days of Roller Skating

Future Aspirations: 

Continue working as post production manager at John Harrington Photography, to develop my career as a freelance photographer, to build my portfolio towards a journalism career, and to use my photography towards humanitarian efforts.