Christopher Jones

Work
Inspiration/Description: 

Before pursuing photojournalism at the Corcoran, I worked for several years overseas as a humanitarian relief worker.  It was during that time that I first noticed that work of James Nachtwey.  His work brought the plight of everyday people in the midst of hardship to the front pages of peoples homes in America and around the world.  I realized that I could make a bigger difference as a photographer than I could as a single relief worker on the ground.  This was my “eureka moment” and is what led me to Corcoran.

Since coming to Corcoran I have gained a new appreciation for many types of photography.  There have been three exhibits that have changed my life and influenced me the most- all of them were at Corcoran. Portraits of Power, by Richard Avedon, demonstrated the incredible ability to capture the essence of a person in a single frame. Oil, By Edward Burtynsky, grabs the viewer through sheer beauty and imagery only to deliver a message of social importance.  And, the Chuck Close exhibition, which gave me insight into how far you can push traditional photography, and even led me to take a screen-printing class.

Uprooted

My sense of identity changed last fall when I learned that I had a different father; a man who chooses not to know me. This realization shook the foundation upon which my identity had been built. I felt hurt, vulnerable, uncertain, and confused. I questioned how much of me was defined by my unknown heritage, and how much came from my life experiences and upbringing. This project compelled me to return to and confront places of significance from my past—from Colorado to Connecticut, and Ohio to Virginia. They stand for much more than a catalog of important places from my past; they reflect the range of emotions I felt in the process of my journey.

Future Aspirations: 

My journey in photography started more than a decade ago in the dusty mountains of northern Afghanistan.  A fellow colleague handed me an old Vivitar 35mm camera with a broken light meter and offered it as a parting gift.  For the next 18 months I carried the camera with me almost everywhere I went.  As one of the few Americans working in northern Afghanistan prior to 9/11, I witnessed and documented a time and place few outsiders had ever seen.  People responded positively toward my images, which helped raise tens of thousands of dollars to fund the projects we were working on.  I realized that photography can be a powerful tool, perhaps an even more powerful tool than a single field worker on the ground, in terms of creating substantive change.

This realization inspired me to pursue photojournalism, and I enrolled in the Corcoran College of Art & Design with the idea of honing my craft as a visual artist.  The program had a strong reputation and small class sizes, two things that appealed to me.  The Corcoran is also the only college in the country to offer a photojournalism degree as a BFA.  This meant I would be able to spend considerable amounts of time in the studio in addition to those spent studying art and theory.

I have used the last three years at Corcoran to work on mastering the technical fundamentals of photography.  The majority of my work has been photojournalistic in nature.  The breadth of my assignments has been a critical factor in my growth by requiring me to work in a variety of photographic environments.  However, in the past year I have also branched away from traditional photojournalism projects to work on a deeply personal project.  I learned last summer that the man who raised me was not my biological father – news that shook the foundations upon which I had built my identity, and stimulated a shift of focus in my work.  My current work has been more conceptual, examining the relationship between experience and place, and how these come together to form our sense of identity.

While studying at the Corcoran, I have been fortunate to be able to work as a photographer, including assignments with large publications such as Washingtonian Magazine and Newsweek.   I have also had the opportunity to reach out to others through tutoring, mentoring, and teaching with the Corcoran’s continuing education program during the summers.  My exposure to the “inside” of the photojournalism industry alongside the experience of teaching and developing my artistic side has helped me clarify my interest in pursuing the latter, as I have reflected upon the fulfillment and enjoyment to be found in teaching, and the freedom it would give me to pursue more creative projects of my own.

I am particularly interested in pursuing my graduate work at Yale because of the experimentation and exploration encouraged by its program, and the opportunity to have my work scrutinized through faculty and visiting artists’ critiques.