Atalie Day Justice-Brown

Work
Inspiration/Description: 

The inspiration behind this project is my personal background in the Appalachian Mountains, growing up near rural Cumberland, M.D. has given me an inside view of “Appalachia” and the people who live there.  I have lived in both the rural areas of Maryland and the urban, but I am continually drawn back to my rural roots.  The Hosselrode family lives about 20 minutes from Cumberland and as a teen I would hear stories about this large family from time to time.  The reputation that preceded the Hosselrodes was stereotypical of Appalachian families, their land had been disheveled by an uncle who collected antiques and junk cars and most families lived in trailers.  However, none of the claims that they were a “rowdy” family were accurate, most family members attend at-home church services on Sunday’s and work hard every single day while also being charitable to others in need with their properties and time.  The families do live in trailers but they are the most beautiful I have ever seen, with wood floors and even pool tables, this family breaks down so many hurtful stereotypes that some outsiders still entertain.  Since the hoarding Uncle has passed the land has been cleaned up by his living family members, my hopes were to become an insider into their tight-knit, distinct world and I have accomplished this.  I love this family, and can only hope that my love and appreciation for them will be expressed through my photographs. 

Since I now live in Annapolis, MD I drive the five hour round trip as often as possible. I am a mother of a five year old and wife but continue to document the lives of the Hosselrodes despite the time consuming drive.  My journey with the family began back in August of 2010 when I decided to drive to the hollow uninvited and attempt to befriend the Hosselrodes.  As soon as I met 12 year old Colby Troutman and his mother Evelyn Hosselrode Troutman I knew they could become an amazing story to share with the world.  The Hosselrodes, and especially Evelyn, have become like family to me and I want to chronicle their unique, down-to-earth, fun-loving lifestyle.  Visiting Hosselrode Hollow is therapeutic for me, I love to get away from the city and see the beautiful nature surrounding Appalachia and spend time with the family.  My story has evolved from documenting a place or “holler”, to Colby’s identity as a 12 year old living in a hollow and the entities that shape him as a soon-to-be teenager.  Within the images I see a maturation in Colby, from a child to a young man, he has graciously allowed me access into his life freely and comfortably.  My deadline to complete shooting for thesis is February 20th 2011 or so, although I hope to continue to photograph the family for years to come.

Hosselrode Hollow
Colby Troutman has lived in Hosselrode Hollow in rural Appalachia his entire life. He is the fourth generation of Hosselrodes in the region. Most youth in the area yearn to leave the rural territory to be closer to the city and make a better living. Colby loves living in the hollow. He spends his days fishing, bow hunting, blacksmithing, caring for his animals, and riding his four wheeler. This work offers a glance into six months in the life of 12-year old Colby and his family and the land that shapes them.

Future Aspirations: 

After graduation this May I hope to work as a staff photographer (or freelance) for a news publication, I love the challenge of photographing significant or unusual situations and feel my talent is strong enough to participate in this competitive field.  Also, I would love to continue to photograph documentary style stories, stories that allow me adequate time to truly understand and document the lives of others around me.  I have interned with the National Geographic Society in their Imaging Center, Baltimore City Paper as a freelance photographer and will soon assist Susana Raab with her photographic business.  Being a commuter is difficult while also being a mother, so in the not-so-distant future I would like to relocate my family closer to the D.C. metro area.  I plan to base my business out of D.C. but also continue to travel the country in search of diverse familial structures and remarkable people.  I believe everyone has a valuable story to share with the world and would love to be a part of revealing that to the masses.